Take it from the Fresh Expert
Having weevil problems again? It helps to understand how weevils get into rice and grains in the first place. It’s actually quite fascinating ...
Having weevil problems again? It helps to understand how weevils get into rice and grains in the first place. It’s actually quite fascinating …
A female weevil lays an egg inside a grain kernel. (She can do this up to 254 times!) The egg hatches and for one to five months depending on the season, the larva lives inside and feeds on the kernel as it grows. Upon reaching adulthood, the weevil emerges from the kernel to mate – and look for new grains to invade.
That said, we definitely don’t want it to happen again and these are the steps we’re taking to eliminate and prevent grain weevils from our kitchen.
- Inspect all grains upon purchase.
- Freeze grains in FreezerMate for at least 1 week to kill any eggs.
- Buy grains in small quantities and eat within a reasonable period of time.
- Do not store grains in the bag they come with as weevils can bore through bags and carton boxes.
- Regularly clean pantry cracks, crevices, and shelves.
- Small bags of black pepper placed around the pantry may help repel weevils.
- Discard any infested foods.
- Vacuum pantry shelves, cracks, and crevices.
- Wipe shelves with white vinegar.
- Dispose of rubbish and vacuum bags outside, away from the home.
Take it from the Fresh Experts
Now nothing beats protecting your rice in tightly sealed containers like Tupperware RiceSmart, which is ideal for keeping 10KG pack of grains as fresh as they can get. This is because once the rice is in RiceSmart, they’re never exposed to air, moisture and weevils until they are dispensed for consumption. Tupperware Brands Malaysia have been keeping families in Malaysia safe from harm, bacteria and contaminated food and water with a wide range of food-safe solutions. Take it from us to keep your rice fresh, fragrant and tasty.